How To Prepare Your Skin For Fall
I know - its happening. While some of us don't want to accept it, others are already sipping their PSL. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fall latte and boot season but lets be real - fall also means some serious changes in our skin.
September marks the beginning of the fall season. In Newfoundland, this seems to be our shortest seasonal transition. Days gradually become shorter, weather gets cooler, and everyone is slowly immersed back into full work mode. Like any sudden change, the change of season can bring new challenges to your skin. You want to help your skin along as it begins to acclimate to new temperatures and conditions. Rather than waiting for the thick of cold and winter before you adapt your skincare regimen, you can gradually ease into Fall skin care. There are a few tweaks you can make to ensure you have a seamless transition into your Fall skin care plan of action.
Firstly, let's start with cleanser. Please double cleanse, I'm begging you! You will thank me later if you're not. Start with Dermalogica Precleanse. It uses oils to dissolve other materials that have a similar chemical structure (makeup, excess sebum, dirt, etc), allowing them to be washed away during the second step of the double cleanse regimen. It easily washes away all makeup debris without any harsh scrubbing. You can then follow with your cleanser.
During the summer months we tend to opt for something light like a gel cleanser or moisturizer. We are wearing less makeup too, so less product to remove. However, as fall and winter approach we need a little extra TLC. Instead, opt for a more hydrating cleanser such as a cream or oil based.
Serum. This really is 'extra' step to super charge any skincare regime. Did you know that serums are the only form of skincare that contain molecules small enough to actually penetrate the dermal layer? This is why they're often recommended over other products when it comes to targeting a specific skin concern. Acid exfoliants help to slough away dead skin cells. This reveals, fresher, brighter skin beneath. Between the self tanner and the 'accidental' sunburn, this is a great refresh for the coming months.
Of course, the obvious - moisturizer. This absolutely must be changed from summer to fall. During the colder months our skin goes through some major changes. We're talking tightness, dehydration, flakiness - you get it. Opt for a hydrating daily moisturizer during this time. If your oily, don't worry there's options for you too! Keep in mind, dehydrated skin lacks water, dry skin lacks natural oils. You can have both dehydration and oily skin. Drink that water!
Lastly, our old friend, the mask. Your stuck in the house more anyway, why not enjoy a little self care? Fill up the bubble bath, grab a book (or a glass of bubbly) and enjoy! Hydrojelly, sheet and clay masks are all great options. Consider this a 'treatment' and can be one once or twice a week.
Not sure what products are best for your skin? Book a complimentary 15 min skin analysis with one of our experts!
- One of the brand’s most popular products is the Daily Microfoliant, an exfoliating rice-based powder for your face
- Claimed to help you achieve brighter, smoother skin
- Contains microcrystalline cellulose, a gentle abrasive to exfoliate the top layers of skin, removing makeup, excess oil, dirt, and other impurities that may have accumulated during the day
- Also contains chemical exfoliants, such as papain (an enzyme derived from papaya) and salicylic acid (a beta hydroxy acid), a skin brightening complex of phytic acid from rice bran, white tea, and licorice to help balance uneven skin tone, and a soothing blend of colloidal oatmeal and allantoin to help calm skin
- Gentle enough for daily use
- Deep-cleansing oil that is meant to be used as the first step of the Double Cleanse regimen
- Key ingredients include apricot kernel oil, sunflower seed oil, orange oil, and grapefruit peel oil
- These oils will dissolve other materials that have a similar chemical structure (makeup, excess sebum, dirt, etc), allowing them to be washed away during the second step of the Double Cleanse regimen
- Ideal for all skin types, even for oily skin conditions
Special Cleansing Gel
- Soap-free, lightweight foaming gel that can be used for all skin conditions
- Claimed to remove impurities without disturbing the skin’s natural moisture balance
- Formula includes soap bark extract, a botanical extract that contains saponins (a class of chemical compounds that can act as natural surfactants)
- Also contains calming balm mint and lavender extracts to soothe the skin
- Mild enough to use every day
- Sheer oil-free facial moisturizer
- Claims to help improve surface texture and combat surface dehydration
- Contains mostly emollients, including caprylic/capric triglyceride, methyl gluceth-20, coconut alkanes, cetearyl alcohol, palmitic acid, stearic acid, and more. Emollients help the skin to feel soft and smooth, while also helping to improve water retention.
- Also contains a Prebiotic Moisture Complex and natural botanical extracts such as lemon, cucumber, and burdock
Intensive Moisture Balance
- Nourishing facial moisturizer that is said to restore lipid balance to dry, depleted skin for optimal barrier performance
- Formula contains a BioReplenish Complex that delivers a combination of key barrier lipids to help enhance the skin’s natural resilience and support barrier recovery
- A prebiotic chlorella algae complex helps rebalance the skin’s natural microbiome for healthy-looking skin
- Features two forms of hyaluronic acid — sodium hyaluronate and hydrolyzed sodium hyaluronate — to help enhance the skin’s moisture content and reduce the appearance of fine lines
Skin Smoothing Cream
- Facial moisturizer that is claimed to “infuse skin with 48 hours of continuous hydration and helps protect against environmental stress”
- Contains a hyaluronic acid complex with mallow, cucumber, and arnica that distributes hydration throughout the skin, helping to lock in moisture for lasting hydration
- Also formulated with antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, and grape seed extract
Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50
- Medium-weight, emollient daily moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF 50
- Claimes to help minimize the appearance of skin aging and improve the appearance of photoaged skin
- Chemical sunscreen ingredients include avobenzone (3.0%) and octinoxate (7.5%)
- Formula contains many fragrance ingredients
- Resurfacing, anti-pollution powder exfoliant
- Claims to deliver your smoothest skin ever and help fight environmental triggers known to accelerate skin aging
- Activated Binchotan Charcoal purifies the skin, helping to adsorb environmental toxins from deep within the pores
Ultra Calming Cleanser
- pH-balanced, non-foaming gel/cream cleanser for reactive skin
- Claimed to help calm and cool reactive, sensitized, or over processed skin
- Key ingredients include ginger root extract, oat kernel extract, and cucumber fruit extract. All of these botanical extracts are known to help calm and soothe the skin
- Vitamin C serum that includes two vitamin C derivatives: ascorbyl methylsilanol pectinate and aminopropyl ascorbyl phosphate
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that protects skin from environmental free radicals
- According to the Indian Dermatology Online Journal, clinical studies have shown that the topical use of vitamin C increases collagen production in both young and aged human skin
- Vitamin C can help to reduce the appearance of dark spots and improve uneven skin tone by inhibiting melanin synthesis